All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionIn June 1940, at the age of twenty, Bob Doe believed himself to be the worst pilot in his squadron. Just three months later he was a highly decorated hero of the Battle of Britain. This is the story of the pilot who, in his own estimation, was t promising material for a fighter pilot. He left school at fourteen and had ne of the qualifications or background of his fellow officers. But he found his place in the Battle of Britain, shooting down fourteen enemy aircraft and sharing in two others (he was the third highest scoring pilot of the Battle). He was unusual in achieving these victories in both Spitfires and Hurricanes. This biography, written by his daughter, a ted professional historian, tells the story of Bob's remarkable career, including his time in Burma leading an Indian Air Force squadron against the Japanese. He was a modest man who spoke for many veterans when he asked that they should t be considered as heroes but remembered for what they did. This book celebrates Bob's achievements and also those of the men who fought alongside him.
- Author BiographyHelen Doe is a well-known maritime historian. She is a Teaching Fellow at the University of Exeter and Fellow of the Royal Historical Society. Her other books include Enterprising Women in Shipping in the Nineteenth Century and was co-editor of The Maritime History of Cornwall. She is a trustee of the SS Great Britain Museum, has made many TV and radio appearances including BBC Radio 4's Making History and Woman's Hour, and advised on David Dimbleby's BBC series, Britain and the Sea.
- Author(s)Helen Doe
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication14/07/2016
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note70
- Weight204 g
- Width124 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.