All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionPlunge into the action, and marvel at ten of the best and best-kwn World War II fighter aircraft! There's shortage of fantastic archival aviation photography from World War II. But photos from the period fall short in three major categories: the vast majority are black and white, most were composed under duress, and very few capture moments that have since entered the written record of aerial conflict. Award-winning artist Jim Laurier rectifies the situation in this stunning, large-format, hardcover book celebrating World War II's top fighter aircraft. From design and weaponry to the daring tales of the pilots who flew the aircraft, Fighter! is a unique and lavishly presented look at World War II aviation through the imagination of military aviation's top artist and illustrator. The book presents chapters about ten legendary aircraft, each featuring paintings of the fighter in action, multi-view color plates (including cockpits), archival photography for context, and the stories behind the planes' design and service. The featured aircraft are: the Messerschmitt Bf 109, Hawker Hurricane, Lockheed P-38 Lightning, Mitsubishi A6M Zero, Curtiss P-40, Focke-Wulf Fw 190, Supermarine Spitfire, North American P-51, Republic P-47, and Messerschmitt Me 262. While each of Laurier's paintings and illustrations are breathtaking and technically exacting, the stories highlight key moments in battle and the stalgia surrounding these fighters and their pilots, offering anecdotes that enhance the art's power. A complete appendix includes key statistics for each aircraft. A warbird history like other, Fighter! brings the romance of aerial combat, the power of agile takeoffs, and the fury of deadly weapons alive on the page.
- Author BiographyJim Laurier is a prolific artist and illustrator of military subjects. A longtime aviation enthusiast and pilot, he combines his love of history with his flying experiences to create artworks renowned for their historical and technical accuracy. Jim's honors include two Par Excellence Awards from the Experimental Aircraft Association, an award from the US Naval Air Museum, and an award from the Simuflite Training Center in Dallas, Texas. He lives in Keene, New Hampshire.
- Author(s)Jim Laurier
- PublisherMotorbooks International
- Date of Publication03/11/2016
- SubjectAircraft & Spacecraft: General Interest
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMotorbooks International
- Content Note80 color & 80 b-w photos
- Weight9 g
- Width276 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.