All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- Description* A rare memoir from a Japanese officer who survived the Battle of Iwo Jima Fighting Spirit is essential reading for anyone interested in the Battle of Iwo Jima and the Pacific War. Major Horie was one of only four Japanese field grade officers directly associated with the Battle of Iwo Jima who survived and the only officer kwn to have left memoirs. Having served as a liaison officer with the Navy, Major Horie described in detail the respective positions, ideas and assumptions that both the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy had when executing the Pacific War, the personalities involved, and the challenges they faced. He was a specialist in logistics and headed Lt. Gen. Kuribayashi's detached headquarters on Chichi Jima, located between Iwo Jima and mainland Japan. He was, however, intimately involved in planning the battle, and used his experience as a liaison to the Imperial Navy to share information and insights through his contacts. He was also very much aware of the limits to Japan's strategy. Fighting Spirit is an antated translation of the memoirs of Imperial Japanese Army Major Yoshitaka Horie, co-edited by a USMC veteran of the Battle of Iwo Jima and an American academic who is a specialist on U.S.-Japan relations. In addition to the original chapters of Horie's work, the book includes an Editors' Preface, providing biographical information on Major Horie and the context of the book, and two appendices of materials prepared by Major Horie shortly after the end of the war.
- Author BiographyRobert D. Eldridge is currently the deputy assistant chief of staff, G-5, Marine Corps Bases, Japan, and was a tenured associate professor at the School of International Public Policy, Osaka University, Japan, from 2001-2009.
- PublisherNaval Institute Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationAnnopolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNaval Institute Press
- Content Notephoto section
- Weight485 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byRobert D. Eldridge
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.