Fighting Techniques of Naval Warfare 1190BC-Present by Iain Dickie, P. J. Jestice, Martin J. Dougherty (Hardback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.73+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $28.00+ postage
- Good condition
- Sold by petrichor16
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFighting Techniques of Naval Warfare analyses the tactics, techniques and weaponry of naval warfare from the ancient period to the modern day. Beginning with Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses III victory over the piratical Sea Peoples in 1190BC, and coming up-to-date with the use aircraft carriers and the latest computerized weapons techlogy, the book covers every significant development in naval warfare over the last three-thousand years. Covering some of the major naval engagements in history, including the Greeks'emphatic victory over the Persians at Salamis, Octavian's decisive defeat of Marc Anthony at Actium, the introduction of cann at Hansando and the spectacular use of fireships against the Spanish Armada at Gravelines, the book includes a detailed examination of the age of sail, from the early seventeenth century to the late eighteenth century, through famous battles at the Downs, Medway and Quiberon Bay, before surveying the transformation from the employment of the last great fighting sailing ships at battles such as Copenhagen and Trafalgar to the advent of steam-powered ironclads at Mobile Bay and culminating with the use of armoured battleships, beginning with Tsushima and Jutland, through to the revolutionary introduction of aircraft carriers at Midway and the techlogical developments of the present day. Using specially-commissioned colour maps and black-and-white artworks, Fighting Techniques of Naval Warfare is an essential companion for anyone interested in naval warfare.
- Author BiographyIain Dickie's interest in military matters was first inspired by pictures of Roman artillery at the age of 12. Based in Britain, he has been a committee member of the Society of Ancients, the editor of Army & Navy Modelworld, Military Hobbies and Miniature Wargames magazines. Martin J. Dougherty is a freelance writer and editor specializing in weapons technology, military history and combat techniques. He has contributed to Battles of the Ancient World, Battles of the Medieval World, and Battles of the Crusades. Phyllis G. Jestice is an associate professor of medieval history and chair of the History Department at the University of Southern Mississippi. A specialist in German history during the central Middle Ages, her teaching of the history of premodern warfare has led her deeper into the study of medieval war and society. She has contributed to several works on the history of warfare, including Battles of the Ancient World, Battles of the Bible, Fighting Techniques of the Medieval World and Timelines of Medieval Warfare. Christer Jorgensen graduated with a Ph.D from University College, London. An expert on military history, Christer has published various books on the history of warfare. He has previously contributed to Fighting Techniques of the Early Modern World and Battles that Changed Warfare.
- Author(s)Iain Dickie,Martin J. Dougherty,P. J. Jestice
- PublisherAmber Books Ltd
- Date of Publication14/04/2009
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleFighting Techniques
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmber Books Ltd
- Content Note150 illustrations and photographs
- Width195 mm
- Height246 mm
- Illustrator(s)Christer Jorgensen
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.82Trending at AU $7.34
- AU $63.09Trending at AU $76.70
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.56Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.