Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $43.60Trending at AU $86.60
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.30
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.11
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.15
- AU $56.16Trending at AU $56.92
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.32
About this product
- DescriptionForeword by Alexandra Stoddard, author of Living a Beautiful Life: 500 Ways to Add Elegance, Order, Beauty and Joy to Every Day of Your Life. Often we come to a point in our lives when we dispense with the trivial and tire of ordinary superficialities, writes Peter Megargee Brown in Figure It Out: A Guide to Wisdom. Here he has collected some of the most profound statements of all time, and gathered them into topical sections reflecting the depth of the thinker behind the trial lawyer. Sprinkled with his comments on the quotations he has carefully selected over many years, sparkling anecdotes and essays complement the quotations and provide a complete and thought-provoking portrait of each subject. Brown leads you through the great subjects mankind has grappled with since the beginning-spirituality, love, life, death, friendship- and offers much more-his appraisal of the complexities of character, writing, history, memory, privacy, travel-drawing on the wisdom of great philosophers including Aristotle, Hillel, Voltaire and Hegel, Supreme Court Justices Oliver Wendell Holmes, Benjamin Cardozo and Joseph Story, the late Tony Sw, writers such as George Bernard Shaw, Ayn Rand, Maureen Dowd and Malachy McCourt, politicians Winston Churchill and Theodore Roosevelt, painter Henri Matisse and architect Frank Lloyd Wright. A collection that can be read cover-to-cover or flipped through for a moment of illumination, Figure It Out: A Guide to Wisdom will entertain and enlighten seekers of truth. Turn to this treasury for inspiration, as Alexandra Stoddard says in the Foreword, Whether you are a reader, a writer, a historian, a philosopher, or a speaker at important events-even making a toast-this personal selection will delight you, uplift you, and help you to Figure It Out. Peter Megargee Brown began his legal career as assistant counsel to John Marshall Harlan on the New York State Crime Commission. After Mr. Harlan was appointed to the United States Supreme Court, Mr. Brown went on to become chief litigator for the New York firm of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft. In 1982, he founded his own law firm in New York, Brown & Seymour. He is a Past President of the Federal Bar Council and a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is the author of numerous books, including The Art of Questioning: Thirty Maxims of Cross Examination. He was educated at Yale College and Yale Law School and lives with his wife, the designer and author Alexandra Stoddard, in Stonington, Ct. The Peter Megargee Brown Papers, the legal papers of the author, comprising 303 bound volumes of his principal law suits over 50 years of practice in the United States Supreme Court and Appellate Courts, are available for the use of students and scholars and can be found in the Manuscripts and Archives section of the Yale University Library.
- Author(s)Peter Megargee Brown
- PublisherLawbook Exchange, Ltd.
- Date of Publication14/04/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLawbook Exchange, Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight413 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Foreword byAlexandra Stoddard
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.