All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this posthumous collection of writings, Cornelius Castoriadis (1922-1997) pursues his incisive analysis of modern society, the philosophical basis of our ability to change it, and the points of intersection between his many approaches to this theme. His main philosophical postulate, that the human subject and society are t predetermined, asserts the primacy of creation and the possibility of creative, automous activity in every domain. This argument is combined with penetrating political and social criticism, opening numerous avenues of critical thought and action. The book's wide-ranging topics include the core worldview of ancient Athens, where the idea of self-creation and self-limitation made democracy possible; the wealth of poetic resources; a deconstruction of the so-called rationality of capitalism and of the current conception of democracy, along with a discussion of what a radical, revolutionary project means today; the role of what he calls the radical imagination in the creation of both societal institutions and history; the roots of hate; a psychoanalytic view of human development torn between heteromy and automy; the role of education in forming automous individuals; and tions of chaos, space, and number.
- Author BiographyThe late Cornelius Castoriadis was Director of Studies at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales and a practicing psychoanalyst. Among his many books in English are On Plato's Statesman (Stanford University Press, 2002) and World in Fragments: Writings on Politics, Society, Psychoanalysis, and the Imagination (Stanford University Press, 1997).
- Author(s)Cornelius Castoriadis
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication18/07/2007
- Series TitleMeridian: Crossing Aesthetics
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Translated byHelen Arnold
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.