All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFilm Dialogue is the first anthology in film studies devoted to the topic of language in cinema, bringing together leading and emerging scholars to discuss the aesthetic, narrative, and ideological dimensions of film speech that have largely gone unappreciated and unheard. Consisting of thirteen essays divided into three sections: genre, auteur theory, and cultural representation, Film Dialogue revisits and reconfigures several of the most established topics in film studies in an effort to persuade readers that spectators are more accurately described as audiences, that the gaze has its equal in eavesdropping, and that images are best understood and appreciated through their interactions with words. Including an introduction that outlines a methodology of film dialogue study and adopting an accessible prose style throughout, Film Dialogue is a welcome addition to ongoing debates about the place, value, and purpose of language in cinema.
- Author BiographyJeff Jaeckle holds a doctorate from the University of Texas at Austin and teaches at Portland Community College. His scholarship on film dialogue, aesthetics, and American cinema has appeared and is forthcoming in Film Quarterly, New Review of Film and Television Studies, Quarterly Review of Film and Video, The Soundtrack, and the Oxford Handbook of American Literary Naturalism.
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2013
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWallflower Press
- Content Note18
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJeff Jaeckle
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.