All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>The definitive biography of Everett Ruess, the artist, writer, and eloquent celebrator of the wilderness whose bold solo explorations of the American West and mysterious disappearance in the Utah desert at age 20 have earned him a large and devoted cult following.</b> Wandering alone with burros and pack horses through California and the Southwest for five years in the early 1930s, on voyages lasting as long as ten months, Ruess became friends with photographers Edward Weston and Dorothea Lange, swapped prints with Ansel Adams, took part in a Hopi ceremony, learned to speak Navajo, and was among the first outsiders to venture deeply into what was then (and to some extent still is) largely a little-kwn wilderness. When he vanished without a trace in November 1934, Ruess left behind thousands of pages of journals, letters, and poems, as well as more than a hundred watercolor paintings and blockprint engravings. Everett Ruess is hailed as a paragon of solo exploration, while the mystery of his death remains one of the greatest riddles in the annals of American adventure. David Roberts began probing the life and death of Everett Ruess for <i>National Geographic Adventure</i> magazine in 1998.<i>Finding Everett Ruess</i> is the result of his personal journeys into the remote areas explored by Ruess, his interviews with oldtimers who encountered the young vagabond and with Ruess s closest living relatives, and his deep immersion in Ruess s writings and artwork. More than 75 years after his vanishing, Ruess stirs the kinds of passion and speculation accorded such legendary doomed American adventurers as <i>Into the Wild s </i>Chris McCandless and Amelia Earhart.
- Author BiographyDAVID ROBERTS is the author of more than 20 books on mountaineering, adventure, and history, including <i>No Shortcuts to the Top, K2</i>, and <i>The Will to Climb, </i>which he co-wrote with Ed Viesturs and a memoir <i>OnThe Ridge Between Life and Death</i>. He has written for <i>National Geographic</i>, <i>National Geographic Adventure</i>, and <i>Smithsonian</i>. Roberts lives in Massachusetts.
- Author(s)David Roberts
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication26/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2012
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width130 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Foreword byJon Krakauer
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.