Finn McCool's Football Club: The Birth, Death, and Resurrection of a Pub Soccer Team in the City of the Dead by Stephen Rea (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $17.01Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $11.90Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter jetting around the world, Stephen Rea left his hometown of Belfast with his American wife to settle in New Orleans in 2004. Not surprisingly, life in the Deep South proved to be startlingly different from that in Northern Ireland, and Rea struggled to find an outlet for his love of football. But before long the Ulsterman stumbled upon Finn McCool's pub and the wonderfully eccentric, international crowd that gathers there to watch European football games.?Frank 'the Tank', the pot-growing Dutch national; Dave 'the Rave' Ashton, a forty-six-year-old physiotherapist from Manchester dubbed 'the world's oldest teenager'; and Benji Haswell, a former political activist from South Africa, are three of the rare and vibrant characters who populated the pub. Soon Rea and this idiosyncratic mix of locals and ex-pat regulars formed a pub soccer team, joined a league, and began dreaming of victory.?On August 27, 2005, with former pro footballer Scottish Steve 'Macca' McAnespie as their coach, members of the team sat in the pub discussing their upcoming match. The next day, Hurricane Katrina enveloped the Gulf Coast, scattering Rea and his teammates around the world in seek of shelter and stability.?This lumius, gripping work follows the author and Finn regulars as they rebuild their lives and their team. With a masterful combination of dry humour and astute profundity, Rea reflects on his adopted city, providing powerful insights into the lives of the foreign-born and mirity groups that stayed behind during Katrina because they had little to lose. Filled with equally hilarious and sobering anecdotes and shortage of good football stories, Rea seamlessly weaves his experiences alongside his teammates' harrowing survival stories. A breathtaking and incredible debut celebrating camaraderie, sportsmanship, and survival, 'Finn McCool's Football Club' stands out as a haunting and powerful memoir filled with laughter, loss, astonishment, and, of course, football.
- Author BiographyStephen Rea is a freelance writer who has contributed to national and international newspapers, magazines, and websites for more than twenty years. He has worked for the Sun in the United Kingdom, as well as regional newspapers in the news, features, sports, and entertainment departments. He lives with his wife and daughter in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Author(s)Stephen Rea
- PublisherSportsBooks Ltd
- Date of Publication10/09/2009
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationCheltenham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSportsBooks Ltd
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.