All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book was short-listed for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award. I doubt there will be a better book written about this period in West Indies cricket history. (Clive Lloyd). Cricket had never been played like this. Cricket had never meant so much. The West Indies had always had brilliant cricketers; it hadn't always had brilliant cricket teams. But in 1974, a man called Clive Lloyd began to lead a side which would at last throw off the shackles that had hindered the region for centuries. Nowhere else had a game been so closely connected to a people's past and their future hopes; where else did cricket liberate a people like it did in the Caribbean. For almost two decades, Clive Lloyd and then Vivian Richards led the batsmen and bowlers who changed the way cricket was played and changed the way a whole nation - which existed only on a cricket pitch - saw itself. With their pace like fire and their scorching batting, these sons of cane-cutters and fishermen brought pride to a people which had been stifled by 300 years of slavery, empire and colonialism. Their cricket roused the Caribbean and antagonised the game's traditionalists. Told by the men who made it happen and the people who watched it unfold, Fire in Babylon is the definitive story of the greatest team that sport has kwn.
- Author BiographySimon Lister is a cricket writer and senior BBC news producer. His first book, Supercat - the authorised biography of Clive Lloyd - was short-listed for the British Sports Book of the Year award. It was, said the Guardian, 'beautifully written'. He has been a contributor to the Wisden Cricketers' Almanack and has covered the county game for the Sunday Telegraph. For ten years, his magazine column, Eyewitness, appeared in The Wisden Cricketer and its successor The Cricketer.
- PrizesWinner of Cricket Society and MCC Book of the Year Award 2016. Shortlisted for William Hill Sports Book of the Year 2015.
- Author(s)Simon Lister
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication13/08/2015
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintYellow Jersey Press
- Out-of-print date09/12/2016
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight651 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine34 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.