Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.08
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
About this product
- DescriptionThe concept of 'tribe' in India is a beleaguered one, and shares overlapping definitions with a number of menclatures-'adivasis', 'indigeus people', and even 'Scheduled Tribes'. For centuries, over widely dispersed territories, groups of communities were subjected to very similar inimical processes that led to their destitution. First Citizens engages with the political and historical processes which go into the making of differential identities and adoption of specific labels by communities, and explores a number of critical issues confronting this extremely vulnerable section of Indian society. The essays document the diverse causes for migrations of India's 'tribal' populations, tably women, and their absorption into both rural and urban informal ecomies; the multi-layered aggression of 'development' policies impinging on the lives of those inhabiting mineral-rich habitats; the violent interface between politicized forest dwellers and the Indian state; the theory and practice behind the Forest Rights Act and the environmentalists' dilemma; and state legislation which may be enabling or otherwise for forest-based communities. Highlighting these communities' attempts to organize a broad-based social movement to challenge ecologically destructive and n-inclusive ecomic policies, this volume chronicles their struggle to claim a common identity as Indian citizens.
- Author BiographyMeena Radhakrishna is an independent researcher. She was formerly a faculty in the Department of Sociology, University of Delhi, India.
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication21/07/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleOxford India Studies in Contemporary Society
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Weight648 g
- Width148 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edited byMeena Radhakrishna
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.