All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow do young children learn language? When does this process start? What does language acquisition involve? Children are exposed to language from birth, surrounded by kwledgeable speakers who offer feedback and provide extensive practice every day. Through conversation and joint activities, children master the language being used around them. This fully revised third edition of Eve V. Clark's bestselling textbook offers comprehensive coverage of language acquisition, from a baby's first sounds to a child's increasing skill in negotiating, explaining and entertaining with language. This book, drawing together the most recent findings in the field, and illustrated with examples from a wide range of experimental and observational studies, including the author's own diary observations, presents an essential and comprehensive guide to first language acquisition. It will be fascinating reading for students of linguistics, developmental psychology and cognitive science.
- Author BiographyEve V. Clark is a Member of the Netherlands Academy of Sciences (KNAW), a Fellow of the Association for Psychological Science, and a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Her books include Psychology and Language (with H. H. Clark), The Ontogenesis of Meaning, The Acquisition of Romance, The Lexicon in Acquisition, and Constructions in Acquisition (with B. F. Kelly). Her research has involved both observational and experimental studies aimed at discovering what language children understand and what they produce at different stages in development.
- Author(s)Eve V. Clark
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication04/03/2016
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note15 b/w illus. 87 tables
- Weight1150 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.