All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionThis famous but little-published unit was formed with three battalions in July 1942, for special operations in occupied Norway, from handpicked US and Canadian volunteers who were trained in parachute, amphibious, ski, mountain and demolition operations. The force first saw combat in Italy where they distinguished themselves, at heavy cost, in the battles of La Difensa (Dec 1943), Mte Majo (Jan 1944), the Anzio beachhead (Feb-May 1944) and the race to Rome. They fought with a ferocious skill which earned them a fearsome reputation. At Anzio, although at only half strength, they successfully held at least a quarter of the entire beachhead and were the spearhead of the final breakout towards Rome. Famed for their nightime fighting ability, the Germans named them Die Schwartze Teuflen - the Black Devils. Their uniforms, clothing and weaponry had many unique features to reflect their unique bi-national component and specialist skills.
- Author BiographyBret Werner was raised in the Philadelphia area of Pennsylvania. He has a degree in History and will soon be finishing his Masters degree in Social Studies Education. The author teaches secondary Social Studies and History in Bristol, Pennsylvania. He is deeply involved with living history organizations with an emphasis on the soldier of the 20th Century. The author is also an associate member of the First Special Service Force Association, where he attends the veteran reunions every year. The author lives in Bristol, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Author(s)Brett Werner
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication07/11/2006
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleElite
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 145
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Weight245 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Michael Welply
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.