All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHoly wells are places of popular religious devotion. At many of them the waters are believed to have healing powers; some are even supposed to have power over the weather. There are hundreds of these wells all over Ireland, many of them still in use. They vary greatly in appearance -- some are very simple, decorated only with rounded river pebbles, while others are highly ornate and adorned with holy statues, medals, rosary beads, flowers, and candles. This book captures the unique spirit of fifty wells (of the 200 visited by the authors) through stunning photography and illuminating text, exploring the individuality of each well, their many forms and setting, and the assorted personal offerings that decorate them. Many are endangered archaeological sites. The authors visited the wells on their special days of devotion, pattern days, to record the activities at those shrines. A map and glossary are also included.
- Author(s)Anna Rackard,David Joyce,Liam O'Callaghan
- PublisherCork University Press
- Date of Publication10/10/2001
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationCork
- Country of PublicationIreland
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), map
- Weight816 g
- Width205 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine21 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.