All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.82Trending at AU $7.34
- AU $63.09Trending at AU $76.70
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.56Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
About this product
- DescriptionFish have inspired artists for thousands of years. They are present in the work of many Dutch and Flemish old masters, as well as French, English and American painters. Yet until w the social and cultural significance of fishes' representation in art has been overlooked. In Fish in Art, Christine E. Jackson surveys a large number of paintings from 2000BC to the present day, examining the evolution of fish representation, as well as its preparation, cooking, eating and storage, and fish-specific kitchen- and tableware. Jackson also explores a diverse range of social and historical issues that have engaged artists, including religious decrees on when to eat fish, the legacies of 'cod wars', and the rise and fall of particular ports. Considering elements such as the ethics of catching fish alongside wider industrial changes in the canning, ice, and salt industries, Fish in Art is attentive to the relative importance of species to different nations. Offering a study of fish in art that is grounded in the physical conditions of fishing and the fish trade, the book will be of interest to fishermen, natural historians and art students alike. Fish in Art provides an original and unique perspective on the artistic legacy of fish and the fishing industry.
- Author BiographyChristine E. Jackson is a Fellow of the Linnean Society, and a committee member of The Society for the History of Natural History for which she was awarded The Founders' Medal in 1996. Her previous publications include Peacock (Reaktion, 2006) and Great Bird Paintings of the World (Vols I & II).
- Author(s)Christine E. Jackson
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication15/06/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Out-of-print date09/09/2015
- Content Note198 black & white illustrations, 167 colour illustrations
- Weight998 g
- Width190 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.