All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionInstrumental musicians can and do develop many physical problems that interfere with making music. Fit as a Fiddle is written by an international authority in musicians' medicine who also is a symphonic musician and teacher. It provides current and important health-related information for all instrumentalists, presented in an understandable and readable fashion. Dr. Dawson includes a section on basic body structure and function, avoiding medical jargon and setting the stage for following chapters. Further topics include those disorders that are caused by playing music: including overuse, muscle strain, and tendinitis. Subsequent chapters discuss a variety of conditions common to mature performers and teachers, especially carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis and hearing loss. Each chapter provides self-help advice to both musician and music teacher in recognizing problems, seeking medical care, and choosing treatment strategies. Dr. Dawson includes information on alternate care disciplines, as well as on rehabilitation and prevention of both common and uncommon conditions that can interfere with practice and performance. The book contains a helpful glossary of medical terms, both familiar and unfamiliar. Fit as a Fiddle is written specifically for instrumental musicians of all ages and degrees of experience, as well as their teachers from primary to conservatory level.
- Author BiographyWilliam J. Dawson, a retired hand surgeon, is president of the Performing Arts Medicine Association and is a member of the editorial board of its journal. He also is a symphonic bassoonist and private instrumental teacher who serves as medical consultant to the International Double Reed Society and the Association of Concert Bands. He is currently associate professor Emeritus of Orthopaedic Surgery, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University.
- Author(s)William J. Dawson
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication05/11/2007
- SubjectFitness & Diet
- Place of PublicationLanham
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Education
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight249 g
- Width141 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.