All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis small but lavishly illustrated catalogue is the first in-depth study ever on silver bird-decorated spoons. Author Donald L. Fennimore, Winterthur's senior curator of metals, narrates the fascinating social, technical, and artistic tale of American silver spoons whose bowls were struck with bird images: from the dove and olive branch to the bald eagle. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, these rare and highly collectible objects of true beauty proved to be a significant vehicle for expressing t only creativity but also a new national identity. <p/>Fennimore's lucid and well-researched volume, which accompanies an exhibition of the same name at Winterthur, includes a comprehensive list of East Coast silversmiths who produced these charming objects between 1750 and 1830. Flights of Fancy surely will serve as a single point of reference for all future study of these uniquely American pieces.
- Author BiographyDONALD L. FENNIMORE is curator emeritus of metals at Winterthur.
- Author(s)Donald L. Fennimore
- PublisherWinterthur Museum & Gardens,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/11/2000
- SubjectAntiques & Collectables
- Place of PublicationWinterthur
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWinterthur Museum & Gardens,U.S.
- Content Note33 duotones. 2 figs.
- Weight136 g
- Width254 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine4 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.