Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionPublished in 1954, Rembert Patrick's Florida Fiasco details the aggressive schemes developed by President Madison and Secretary of State Monroe in the attempted acquisition of Florida. Patrick shows that George Mathews's influence over General John McIntosh inspired him to plan a revolt in east Florida in the hopes of turning the conquered territory over to Mathews. The plot was thwarted when Spanish minister Luis de Onis heard of the coming attack and appealed to the British. Thus begins the five-year attempt which was led in succession by George Mathews, David Mitchell, and Thomas A. Mitchell. Patrick's account includes the plotting of undercover agents, manipulation of discontented nationals, denials by high officials, and adventurers seeking rich rewards.
- Author BiographyRembert W. Patrick (d. 1967) was a chairman of the University of Florida department of history. He is the author of many other books including Florida under Five Flags, The Reconstruction of the Nation, and Jefferson Davis and His Cabinet. The Florida Historical Society created an annual book award in Patrick's name in honor of his distinguished career.
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.