All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLeaving home to see the world is something that succeeding generations of young New Zealanders have done in ever-increasing numbers. 'Overseas experience' or the 'OE' has been the topic of countless individual travel accounts, and has provided the subject matter for plays, films and vels. Until w, there hasn't been a history of the OE. Based on the oral accounts of several hundred travellers, across all seven decades of the OE, this vibrant history shows how the OE has changed over time. Well illustrated with the ephemera of popular culture surrounding youth travel, the book traces the emergence of the OE and the transport, media and other networks that have supported it. Flying Kiwis is an essential read for anyone who has arrived in London with a few dollars and the address of a friend's cousin.
- Author BiographyJude Wilson is a tourism researcher at Lincoln University. After she returned to New Zealand from her own 20-year OE, the OE became the subject of her academic research. She remains addicted to travel.
- Author(s)Jude Wilson
- PublisherOtago University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationDunedin
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintOtago University Press
- Content Notecolour illus
- Weight808 g
- Width203 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.