All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionSmart phones, tablets, Facebook, Twitter, and wireless Internet connections are the latest techlogies to have quickly become entrenched in our culture. Although traditionalists have argued that computer-mediated communication and cyberspace are incongruent with the study of folklore,Trevor J. Blank sees the digital world as fully capable of generating, transmitting, performing, and archiving vernacular culture. Folk Culture in the Digital Age documents the emergent cultural scenes and expressive folkloric communications that are being made possible by digital new media techlogies. New media is changing the ways in which people learn, share, participate, and engage with others as they adopt techlogies to complement and supplement traditional means of vernacular expression. But behavioral and structural overlap in many folkloric forms exists between on- and offline, and emerging patterns in digital rhetoric mimic the dynamics of previously documented folkloric forms, invoking familiar social or behavior customs, linguistic inflections, and symbolic gestures. Folk Culture in the Digital Age provides insights and perspectives on the myriad ways in which folk culture manifests in the digital age and contributes to our greater understanding of vernacular expression in our ever-changing techlogical world.
- Author BiographyTrevor J. Blank is lecturer in American Studies and Folklore at Pennsylvania State University-Harrisburg, the editor of Folklore and the Internet (USUP 2009), and the editor of New Directions in Folklore, an open-access journal.
- PublisherUtah State University Press
- Date of Publication16/11/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLogan
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUtah State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight448 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byTrevor J. Blank
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.