All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
About this product
- DescriptionIn Folk Tales on the Settle-Carlisle Railway, join the driver and fireman on the footplate of a locomotive. Stand behind a range of levers in a signal box or be one of a gang working on the permanent way, sweating in the summer heat or shivering after a heavy swfall. Maintenance men in Blea Moor tunnel needed patience and good lungs; the tunnel might be thick with locomotive smoke or draped with icicles. On the Settle-Carlisle journey, we are thrilled by a slowly changing landscape, glancing at Pen-y-ghent, which crouches like a lion above Ribblesdale. Further rth, we admire the broad acres of the Eden Valley, which lie between the Northern Pennines and the gaunt fells of the Lake District. An afteron passenger train that took in the line from Garsdale to Hawes was named Bonnyface; when it turned up, workers smiled as they were about to go home. The Garsdale tank house was used for dances and an adjacent wheel-less carriage was the refreshment room.
- Author BiographyW. R. Mitchell, MBE, Hon D. Litt, and author of over 200 books sadly died in 2015 and this was his penultimate book, and indeed the last he actually saw from the press before he passed away. He, began work as a journalist at the Craven Herald and was for many years editor of two magazines - The Dalesman (Yorkshire) and Cumbria (the Lake Counties). Mitchell's honorary degree was awarded by the University of Bradford. In 2007, the outdoor Writers' and Photographers' Guild presented him with their major Golden Eagle award. He was said to be one of the founding fathers of outdoor writing.
- Author(s)W. J. Mitchell
- PublisherFonthill Media
- Date of Publication15/07/2015
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationToadsmoor Road
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFonthill Media
- Content Note32 black and white photographs
- Weight196 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.