All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFood safety is a modern concept. Remarkably, it is only in the last 200 years that such concepts as foodborne germs, and the means of combating them (such as antiseptics and refrigeration), have been popularised. Yet in the 21st Century, consumers in the developed world do t accept that the food which they purchase and consume might carry a risk of making them ill that our food should be safe is something we all take for granted. Food safety is a multi-faceted subject, using microbiology, chemistry, standards and regulations and risk management to address issues involving bacterial pathogens, chemical contaminants, natural toxicants, additive safety, allergens and more. In Food Safety: The Science of Keeping Food Safe, Professor Ian C. Shaw introduces these topics with wit and practical wisdom, providing an accessible guide to a vibrant and constantly evolving subject. Each chapter proceeds from introductory concepts and builds towards a sophisticated treatment of the topic, allowing the reader to take what kwledge is required for understanding food safety at a range of levels. Illustrated with photographs and examples throughout, this book is the ideal starting point for students and n-specialists seeking to learn about food safety issues, and an enjoyable and stylish read for those who already have an academic or professional background in the area.
- Author BiographyIan C. Shaw is Director of Biochemistry and Professor of Toxicology at the University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand. His CV includes academic positions in biochemistry, toxicology and applied biology, as well as experience as a clinical scientist and a member of various international government advisory bodies on food safety. His book Is it Safe to Eat? was made into a television series for TV New Zealand.
- Author(s)Ian C. Shaw
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication16/11/2012
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationChicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight776 g
- Width171 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.