All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1984, and w in its 6th edition, this book has become the classic text on food chemistry around the world. The bulk components - carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals and water, and the trace components - colours, flavours, vitamins and preservatives, as well as food-borne toxins, allergens, pesticide residues and other undesirables all receive detailed consideration. Besides being extensively rewritten and updated a new chapter on enzymes has been included. At every stage attention is drawn to the links between the chemical components of food and their health and nutritional significance. Features include: Special Topics section at the end of each chapter for specialist readers and advanced students; an exhaustive index and the structural formulae of over 500 food components; comprehensive listings of recent, relevant review articles and recommended books for further reading; frequent references to wider issues eg the evolutionary significance of lactose intolerance, fava bean consumption in relation to malaria and the legislative status of food additives around the world. Food: The Chemistry of its Components will be of particular interest to students and teachers of food science, nutrition and applied chemistry in universities, colleges and schools. Its accessible style ensures that it will be invaluable to anyone with an interest in food issues.
- Author BiographyDr Tom Coultate was Principal Lecturer in Food Biochemistry at the School of Applied Science at South Bank University, London, until his retirement in 2000. He first joined the School of Applied Science at South Bank University in 1972, after obtaining his PhD for studies on the biochemistry and physiology of a thermophilic bacterium from Leicester University. Since leaving school he had been first a lab. technician and then research assistant at Unilever's research laboratories in Bedfordshire (Colworth House) at the same time studying part-time to acquire an ONC, HNC and MIBiol. Having obtained his PhD, Tom embarked on a long and successful professional career fuelled by his fascination for food and the satisfactions of teaching! His particular interest was, and still is, the relationship between the essentially chemical nature of all foods and their distinctive, unique journey from field to plate and beyond. Tom is frequently invited to address local audiences and branch meetings of learned societies such as the RSC and SCI on food topics, and been an occasional television and radio interviewee. Previous editions of this book have been translated into Chinese, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish have been used by universities, food scientists and chemists worldwide. Although Tom retired from full-time teaching in 2000 he still maintains his links with professional colleagues including new friends at the nearby Open University campus at Milton Keynes. He continues to contribute articles for technical and trade magazines on food topics.
- Author(s)Tom P. Coultate
- PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Date of Publication17/08/2015
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight928 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition Statement6th New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.