Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA celebration of French cuisine and culture, from a culinary adventurer who made his mark decades before Anthony Bourdain arrived on the scene. Traveling through the provinces, cities, and remote country towns that make up France, Waverley Root discovers t only the Calvados and Camembert cheese of Normandy, the<i>haute cuisine</i>of Paris, and the hearty bouillabaisse of Marseilles, but also the local histories, customs, and geographies that shape the French national character. Here are the origins of the Plantagenet kings and Rabelais s favorite truffle-flavored sausages, and the tale of how the kitchens of Versailles cooked for one thousand aristocrats and four thousand servants in a single day. Here, too, are tes on the proper time of year to harvest snails; the Moorish influences on the confections of the Pyrenees, where the plumpest geese are raised; and the age of the oldest olive tree in Provence. In short, here is France for the chef, the traveler, and the conisseur of fine prose, with maps and line drawings throughout.
- Author BiographyWaverley Root was a foreign correspondent in Europe for nearly fifty years, representing the <i>Chicago Tribune</i>, <i>The</i><i>Washington Post</i>, <i>Time</i>, and other outlets. He also contributed regularly to <i>The New York Times Magazine</i>, <i>International Herald Tribune</i>, and <i>Gourmet</i>. Among his books are <i>The Food of Italy</i>, <i>The Food of France</i>, <i>Contemporary French Cooking</i>, <i>The Best of Italian Cooking</i>, and <i>Eating in America</i>. Considered one of the major writers on cuisine of his time, Root passed away in 1982.
- Author(s)W Root
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Out-of-print date24/11/2015
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width133 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edition StatementVintage Books ed
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.31Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.