All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $22.33Trending at AU $23.43
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.55
- AU $45.43Trending at AU $49.38
- AU $45.84Trending at AU $48.23
- AU $18.02Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $36.94
- AU $25.76Trending at AU $32.95
About this product
- DescriptionThis audiobook is about luck, or more precisely, how we perceive and deal with luck in life and business. It is already a landmark work and its title has entered our vocabulary. In its second edition, Fooled by Randomness is w a cornerstone for anyone interested in random outcomes. Set against the backdrop of the most conspicuous forum in which luck is mistaken for skill, the world of trading, this audiobook is a captivating insight into one of the least understood factors of all our lives. In an entertaining narrative style, the author succeeds in tackling three major intellectual issues: the problem of induction, the survivorship biases, and our genetic unfitness to the modern word. Taleb uses stories and anecdotes to illustrate our overestimation of causality and the heuristics that make us view the world as far more explainable than it actually is. The audiobook is populated with an array of characters, some of whom have grasped, in their own way, the significance of chance: Yogi Berra, the baseball legend; Karl Popper, the philosopher of kwledge; Solon, the ancient world's wisest man; the modern financier George Soros; and the Greek voyager Ulysses. We also meet the fictional Nero, who seems to understand the role of randomness in his professional life, but who also falls victim to his own superstitious foolishness. But the most recognizable character remains unnamed, the lucky fool in the right place at the right time - the embodiment of the Survival of the Least Fit. Such individuals attract devoted followers who believe in their guru's insights and methods. But one can replicate what is obtained through chance. It may be impossible to guard against the vagaries of the Goddess Fortuna, but after listening to Fooled by Randomness we can be a little better prepared.
- Author BiographyNassim Nicholas Taleb is an essayist principally concerned with the problems of uncertainty and knowledge. Taleb's interests lie at the intersection of philosophy, mathematics, finance, literature, and cognitive science but he has stayed extremely close the ground thanks to an uninterrupted two-decade career as a mathematical trader. Specializing in the risks of unpredicted rare events (black swans ), he held senior trading positions in New York and London before founding Empirica LLC, a trading firm and risk research laboratory. Taleb is a fellow at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Science of New York University where he has been teaching a class on the failure of models since 1999. He has an MBA from the Wharton School and a Ph.D. from The University of Paris Dauphine.
- Author(s)Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- PublisherGildan Media Corporation
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGildan Media Corporation
- Weight204 g
- Width135 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Read bySean Pratt
- Contained items statement8 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time600
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.