CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.63
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
About this product
- DescriptionEver since boys' comics were first published in the middle years of the nineteenth century, they have offered readers fun, adventure and escapism. As participation and attendance at sports events rose dramatically in the early years of the twentieth century, so boys' comics focused more and more on sportsmen, with footballers becoming the ultimate favourites. Millions of boys' comics were sold in the 'golden age' in the 1920s and '30s. The introduction of football stories in cartoon-strip format proved immensely popular, and during the 1950s and '60s comics enjoyed a renaissance, with The Rover , Tiger and The Hotspur among the top titles. The 1970s saw the launch of dedicated football comics such as Scorcher and Score 'n' Roar . Within the pages of these titles, legends were born, but for every Hot Shot Hamish there were dozens of other footballing heroes, and this book tells their stories, too. Although these comics are longer in circulation, they still generate a huge level of interest among boys and men of all ages, and the culture of the comic book hero continues. Using the archives of publishers DC Thomson and Co. Limited, IPC Media Limited and Egmont UK Limited, the authors have produced a definitive history of the comic book footballer. This unique and stalgic account of the football comic book phemen will jog the memories of older readers and introduce the magic of these imaginary sporting stars to a whole new generation.
- Author BiographyAdam Riches is a journalist and writer of more than 20 years' experience, Tim Parker has had many years' experience as a freelance art editor and Robert Frankland is a passionate collector of football comics.
- Author(s)Adam Riches,Robert Frankland,Tim Parker
- PublisherMainstream Publishing
- Date of Publication03/09/2009
- SubjectFiction Companions
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMainstream Publishing
- Out-of-print date16/04/2015
- Content Notecolour and b/w illustrations throughout
- Weight1127 g
- Width283 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.