All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a truly remarkable first poetry collection from debut talent Kayla Czaga. Her poems are already making waves -- several from this collection have received award attention, including: The Fiddlehead's 23rd annual Ralph Gustafson Poetry Prize, The Malahat Review's 2012 Far Horizon's Award for Poetry and an Editor's Choice Award in ARC Poetry Magazine's 2012 Poem of the Year Contest. They have also been shortlisted for The New Quarterly's 2013 Occasional Verse Contest, longlisted for CBC's 2013 Canada Writes Poetry Contest and have appeared in literary publications across North America. The poems in For Your Safety Please Hold On move in thematic focus from family, to girlhood, to adulthood, each permeated by Czaga's lively voice and quick-witted, playful language. They test the line between honest humour and bitter reality in a sophisticated, incisive manner that tugs at the gut and feels true. The linguistic hopscotch of Czaga's poems about girlhood is often beautifully juxtaposed with feelings of menace or a first taste of smothering expectations -- She sits. She sips her bright pink fingers. / She slips into smart short haircuts, yes, / she does so, and does herself up just so. While her pin prick meditations on contemporary adulthood suggest a yearning for personal meaning and purpose on a larger scale -- I still wander, sometimes, / my coat closing the world out of my body, with pockets / full of garbage, with my slender steady want. I still / make the bed and at bedtime unmake it. The irrepressible energy of the poems, paired with their complex balancing act between light and dark, humour and melancholy, incence and danger, make this collection an extraordinary first offering.
- Author BiographyKayla Czaga grew up in Kitimat and now lives in Vancouver, BC, where she recently earned her MFA in Creative Writing at UBC. Herpoetry, nonfiction and fiction has been published in The Walrus, Best Canadian Poetry 2013, Room Magazine, Event and The Antigonish Review, among others. For Your Safety Please Hold On is her first book.
- Author(s)Kayla Czaga
- PublisherNightwood Editions
- Date of Publication01/09/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNightwood Editions
- Weight130 g
- Width140 mm
- Height205 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.