Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $30.17Trending at AU $33.12
About this product
- DescriptionTemperate-zone forests have been shaped by fire, wind and grazing over thousands of years. This book provides a major contribution to the study of their dynamics by considering three important themes: * The combined influence of wind, fire and herbivory on the successional trajectories and structural characteristics of forests * The interaction of deciduous and evergreen tree species to form mosaics which, in turn, influence the environment and disturbance regime * The significance of temporal and spatial scale with regard to the overall impact of disturbances These themes are explored via case studies from the forests in the Lake States of the USA (Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan) where the presence of large primary forest remnants provides a unique opportunity to study the long-term dynamics of near-boreal, pine and hardwood-hemlock forests. The comparability of these forests to forests in other temperate zones allows generalizations to be made that may apply more widely.
- Author BiographyLee Frelich is a Research Associate in the Department of Forest Resources at the University of Minnesota, St Paul and Founder Director of the University of Minnesota Center for Hardwood Ecology. His research experience spans studies of the impact of acid rain on forest growth, paleoecological studies of forest change, tree population dynamics, old-growth forest dynamics and forest disturbance ecology, including the effects of fire, windstorms and grazing.
- Author(s)Lee E. Frelich
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/02/2008
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Ecology
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note94 b/w illus. 24 tables
- Weight420 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.