All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn September 1945, after the fall of the atomic bomb - and with it, the Japanese empire - Asia was dominated by the British. Governing a vast crescent of land that stretched from India through Burma and down to Singapore, and with troops occupying the French and Dutch colonies in southern Vietnam and Indonesia, Britain's imperial might had never seemed stronger. Yet within a few violent years, British power in the region would crumble, and myriad independent nations would struggle into existence. Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper show how World War II never really ended in these ravaged Asian lands but instead continued in bloody civil wars, anti-colonial insurrections, and inter-communal massacres. These years became the most formative in modern Asian history, as Western imperialism vied with nascent nationalist and communist revolutionaries for political control. Forgotten Wars , a sequel to the authors' acclaimed Forgotten Armies , is a paramic account of the bitter wars of the end of empire, seen t only through the eyes of the fighters, but also through the personal stories of ordinary people: the poor and bewildered caught up in India's Hindu-Muslim massacres; the peasant farmers ravaged by warfare between British forces and revolutionaries in Malaya; and, the Burmese mirities devastated by separatist revolt. Throughout, we are given a stunning portrait of societies poised between the hope of independence and the fear of strife. Forgotten Wars vividly brings to life the inescapable conflicts and manifold dramas that shaped today's Asia.
- Author BiographyChristopher Bayly is Vere Harmsworth Professor of Imperial and Naval History at University of Cambridge, and a Fellow of St. Catherine's College. Tim Harper is a Senior Lecturer in History at University of Cambridge, and a Fellow of Magdalene College.
- Author(s)Christopher Bayly,Tim Harper
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication23/09/2010
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Content Note16 halftones
- Weight816 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine45 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.47Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.