All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExplanations of how identities are constructed are fundamental to contemporary debates in feminism and in cultural and social theory. Formations of Class & Gender demonstrates why class should be featured more prominently in theoretical accounts of gender, identity and power. Beverley Skeggs identifies the neglect of class, and shows how class and gender must be fused together to produce an accurate representation of power relations in modern society. The book questions how theoretical frameworks are generated for understanding how women live and produce themselves through social and cultural relations. It uses detailed ethgraphic research to explain how 'real' women inhabit and occupy the social and cultural positions of class, femininity and sexuality. As a critical examination of cultural representation - informed by recent feminist theory and the work of Pierre Bourdieu - the book is an articulate demonstration of how to translate theory into practice.
- Author BiographyBeverley Skeggs is the editor of The Production of Feminist Cultural Theory (1995); co-author of Issues in Sociology: The Media (with J Mundy); co-author of Workwise (1990) (with G Palmer and M Webb); and also author of numerous journal articles.
- Author(s)Beverley Skeggs
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication03/06/1997
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitlePublished in Association with Theory, Culture & Society
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 51
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight288 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.