All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis book presents the complex and compelling story of the King James Bible and accounts for the reason it has been a best seller for four hundred years. It describes the political and religious tensions which marked the historical context in which it was produced, especially the roles of Henry VIII and the later transition from Elizabeth I to James I. It describes the translation process itself, the character and content of what the translators produced, and the numerous revisions and printings that this Bible has gone through over four centuries. The author has drawn on research of many scholars but created a narrative for any reader interested in how this translation has influenced literature, the development of the English language, oratory and the political life of English speakers both in the United Kingdom and North America.
- Author BiographyPhilip C. Stine received his Ph.D. in linguistics from the University of Michigan and did biblical studies at Emory University. In 1968 he was recruited to work with the translation program of the United Bible Societies where he served in various capacities for nearly 30 years, first as a translation consultant in Africa and later as global coordinator of translation work and related research. Dr. Stine has authored and edited numerous books on Bible translation and missiology including Bible Translation and the Spread of the Church: The Last 200 years (1990), and co-authored translators guides on Matthew, Jeremiah and Ezekiel. For six years he was director for publishing, marketing and translation services for UBS. He is now a marketing and publishing consultant based in Wilmington, North Carolina.
- Author(s)Philip C Stine
- PublisherAmerican Bible Society
- Date of Publication25/04/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Bible Society
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight222 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.