All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionAs I was coming up, it was painful to me t to have been given my own nickname. It made me feel different, or rather that I was being treated differently from other family members. I wondered why everybody else was spoken to in terms of their identity, their character, their behavior, and I was simply identified by the 'tag, ' my given name. But then, when I read in a book that France meant free, I began to think of it as imbuing me with a sense of flight, of movement. Ultimately, I came to believe my name spoke for itself and that I did t need any other.' from the bookImbued with rich detail of family life in a rural community, as well as a system of values at a time of transition in American history, this is the life story of France Davis, the dynamic pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church in Salt Lake City. It is an engaging story of courage and vision that describes coming of age in the segregation-era South, of dreaming, enduring with hor, and living at the forefront of major issues within the United States.Recorded and skillfully written by Nayra Atiya, France Davis: An American Story Told, is an oral history, ethgraphy, memoir, perhaps even a life-enhancing sermon delivered with the strong voice of a preacher. The gathered strands of a life lived with conviction and grace will appeal to a broad spectrum of readers from the curious to those seeking inspiration.
- Author BiographyRev. France A. Davis is pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church in Salt Lake City.Nayra Atiya was born in Egypt, raised in the United States, and now lives in Salt Lake City. She is an oral historian, writer, and translator. This is her sixth book.
- Author(s)France A Davis,Nayra Atiya
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/10/2006
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight526 g
- Width159 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.