All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionFrances Burney's last vel <i>The Wanderer: or, Female Difficulties</i> (1814) is a fascinating study of late-eighteenth-century English society. But is it a good vel, too? For years and years, critics have denied the book's literary merit. Read as a <i>Bildungsroman</i>, however, the vel's many puzzling complexities, seeming irregularities, and frequent didactic asides suddenly fall into place. Far from being Burney's least important work, <i>The Wanderer</i> is an intricate portrait of what it meant to be a humanist, a refugee, and a woman at the time of the French Revolution.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Mascha Gemmeke was born in Dortmund and studied English Language and Literature, History and Philosophy at the University of Munster, Norwich, and Sheffield.
- Author(s)Mascha Gemmeke
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/05/2004
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleMunsteraner Monographien Zur Englischen Literatur / Munster Monographs on English Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number28
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight480 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.