All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the moment Pope Francis stepped on to the balcony of St Peter's Basilica for the first time, a global audience sensed that t only the Catholic Church but the world at large could be entering a new spiritual, political and social age. In the days following Pope Francis' election, there would be further early signs of the simplicity worthy of the first apostles and the leader that inspired them. Not since John XIII appeared on the scene half a century earlier had a new Pope opened the windows of the Church in such a way as to let in some much needed fresh air. Nevertheless, for the excitement generated by the first Latin American Pope and a man who claimed to want to put the poor back at the centre of the Church's social teaching, people could still only guess where it might be all be leading. Francis: Pope of Good Promise is neither an instant media job, r a hagiography based on authorised interviews, but the product of diligent investigation across a wide range of official and independent sources - a measured, objective portrait of a man who, in circumstances that he neither sought r foresaw, found himself handed the highest office at a time of crisis t just for the Church but for long established institutions worldwide from banks to political parties.
- Author BiographyJimmy Burns is a prizewinning author and journalist. Burns was the Financial Times Buenos Aires correspondent during the 1980s and worked as a senior investigative reporter with the newspaper for many years. His previous books include The Land that Lost its Heroes: How Argentina Lost the Falklands War, which won the Somerset Maugham Prize for non-fiction and two critically acclaimed biographies, The Hand of God: A Life of Diego Maradona, and Papa Spy, an account of his late father's espionage activities as a leading Catholic.
- Author(s)Jimmy Burns
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication02/06/2016
- SubjectBiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note16pp. b/w and colour
- Weight420 g
- Width134 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.82
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.