CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionIn this towering work, Andre Vauchez draws on the vast body of scholarship on Francis of Assisi, emphasizing in particular the important research of the last 30 years. He creates a complete and engaging portrait of the saint, then explores how the memory of Francis was shaped by contemporaries who recollected him in their writings. Vauchez completes the book by setting Poverello in the context of his times, bringing to light what was new, surprising, even astonishing in the life and vision of this man. The first part of the book is a fascinating reconstruction of Francis' life and work. The second and third parts deal with the myriad texts - hagiographies, chronicles, sermons, personal testimonies, etc. - of writers who recorded aspects of Francis' life and movement as they remembered them, thus constructing his memory for future generations. In the final part of the book, Vauchez explores those aspects of Francis' life, personality, and spiritual vision that were unique to him, including his experience of God, his approach to nature, his understanding and use of Scripture, and his impact on culture as well as culture's impact upon him.
- Author BiographyAndre Vauchez is Professor Emeritus, University of Paris X and a leading expert on religious movements, saints, and the dynamics of the Middle Ages. He lives in France.
- Author(s)Andre Vauchez
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication12/10/2012
- SubjectBiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Out-of-print date09/12/2016
- Content Notemaps
- Weight666 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.