All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $126.99Trending at AU $162.41
- AU $28.80Trending at AU $29.93
- AU $26.80Trending at AU $27.17
- AU $56.34Trending at AU $60.28
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $51.55
- AU $35.11Trending at AU $47.51
- AU $28.94Trending at AU $29.39
About this product
- DescriptionThere were few bushrangers whose influence extended as far as that of Frank Gardiner. Handsome, clever, charismatic and dangerous, he inspired many young men to abandon the drudgery of their honest work and turn to highway robbery. So strong was his influence that it set in motion a craze kwn as Gardinerism . Gardiner was the leader of the infamous Gold Escort robbery at Eugowra Rocks; he was the one who almost got away with the crime. escaping to Queensland and running a successful public house until his eventual, controversial arrest. Such was the man's charm and influence that respectable citizens petitioned successfully on his behalf and Gardiner was released early from gaol amid a storm of controversy. This book outlines the life of Frank Gardiner, his descent into crime and the mystery of his final years in exile. The Australian Bushrangers series by librarian and historical researcher, Jane Smith, details the colourful lives of six ofAustralia's most famous bushrangers of the gold rush era: Captain Thunderbolt, Captain Moonlite, Frank Gardiner, BenHall, and the two men kwn as 'Captain Starlight'. Based on meticulous research of primary sources such as birth, death and marriage certificates, Police Gazettes, Court, policeand gaol records, letters and newspaper articles, Jane Smith, has produced a series of books that align with the national curriculum and are both entertaining and historically accurate; for the first time dispelling many of the myths. These simply written, concise narratives provide an insight into the lives of these bushrangers. From their family background,crimes, family and gang members, the circumstances and events that led him to crime, and where relevant, his capture and death, the books are full of interesting facts and loaded with images, newspaper clippings and records.
- PublisherBig Sky Publishing
- Date of Publication05/06/2014
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Series TitleAustralian Bushranger Series
- Place of PublicationNewport, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintBig Sky Publishing
- Edited byJane Smith
Most relevant reviews
- 1953beetle18 Aug, 2016by
Well-aimed at target audience. Refreshing to see a writer doing her own research, not just rehashing other books.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.