All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFred Terman was an outstanding American engineer, teacher, entrepreneur, and manager. Terman was also deeply devoted to his students, to engineering, and to Stanford University. This biography focuses on the weave of personality and place across time-it examines Terman as a Stanford faculty child growing up at an ambitious little regional university; as a young electrical engineering professor in the heady 1920s and the doldrums of the Depression; as an engineering manager and educator in the midst of large-scale wartime research projects and the postwar rise of Big Science and Big Engineering; as a university administrator on the razor's edge of great expectations and fragile budgets; and, finally, as a senior statesman of engineering education. The first doctoral student of Vannevar Bush at M.I.T., Terman was himself a prodigious teacher and adviser to many, including William Hewlett and David Packard. Terman was widely hailed as the magnet that drew talent together into what became kwn as Silicon Valley. Throughout his life, Fred Terman was constant in his belief that quality could be quantified, and he was adamant that a university's success must, in the end, be measured by the success of its students. Fred Terman's formula for success, both in life and for his university, was fairly simple: hard work and persistence, systematic dedication to clearly articulated goals, accountability, and t settling for mediocre work in yourself or in others.
- Author BiographyC. Stewart Gillmor is Professor of History and Science at Wesleyan University.
- Author(s)C. Stewart Gillmor
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication22/09/2004
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1338 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Format DetailsCloth
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.