All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionFreedom Fighters covers a violent episode in recent Welsh history shunned or relegated to the sidelines by more conventional historians. By drawing together various sources, the author has produced a highly compelling narrative of a period when a group of Welshmen declared war on England with gelignite and fire bombs. Two died, others were jailed in this struggle for Welsh independence. Could it happen again? Or is yesterday's Welsh patriot doomed to become tomorrow's terrorist? Freedom Fighters provides a fascinating insight into Welsh patriotism on the extremist fringes. The principal focus of this book is the role of the two main protagonists of Mudiad Amddiffyn Cymru (MAC), the Movement for the Defence of Wales, Owen Williams and John Jenkins.Welsh consciousness is uncomfortable with the memory of the Sixties' sabotage campaign directed by this secret, extremist organisation at water pipelines, Government offices and the Prince of Wales. No matter what the authentic voice of democratic nationalism might think of these foot soldiers in Wales' forgotten war, they cant be igred. This book tells the story of this remarkable campaign from its inception in 1963 up to the establishment of the Welsh Assembly and considers to what extent the direct action of the Sixties' picked up again by the holiday home arsonists a decade later, helped shape a political environment in which the governing class became more receptive to Welsh aspirations.
- Author BiographyJohn Humphries, a former newspaper editor and foreign correspondent, draws upon previously unavailable documents and sources to shed new light on moments in history ranging from the Chartist Uprising, the Mexican Revolution, Hitler's 'spies', and Freedom Fighters of the 20th century. This is his fifth work of non-fiction.
- Author(s)John Humphries
- PublisherUniversity of Wales Press
- Date of Publication04/11/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationWales
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUniversity of Wales Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight635 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.