All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Freedom with Violence, Chandan Reddy develops a new paradigm for understanding race, sexuality, and national citizenship. He examines a crucial contradiction at the heart of modernity: the nation-state's claim to provide freedom from violence depends on its systematic deployment of violence against peoples perceived as nrmative and irrational. Reddy argues that the modern liberal state is organized as a counterviolence to race even as, and precisely because, race persists as the condition of possibility for the modern subject. Rejecting liberal tions of modernity as freedom from violence or revolutionary ideas of freedom through violence, Reddy contends that liberal modernity is a structure for authorizing state violence. Contemporary neoliberal societies link freedom to the tion of legitimate (state) violence and produce narratives of liberty that tie rights and citizenship to institutionalized violence. To counter these formulations, Reddy proposes an alternative politics of kwledge grounded in queer of color critique and critical ethnic studies. He uses issues that include asylum law and the military's don't ask, don't tell policy to illustrate this major rethinking of the terms of liberal modernity.
- Author BiographyChandan Reddy is Assistant Professor of English at the University of Washington.
- Author(s)Chandan Reddy
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication21/10/2011
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitlePerverse Modernities: A Series Edited by Jack Halberstam and Lisa Lowe
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Weight431 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.66Trending at AU $38.33
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.