All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFreehand examines around 200 sketches and illustrations by young contemporary artists, in each case highlighting and explaining the drawing techniques, qualities, and effects with extended captions, insightful tips, and practical advice. Four main categories unify the book: Principles, Drawing Media, Types of Drawing, and Subjects. Each sketch clearly indicates which principle is being exemplified, the media used, the subject of the drawing, and the type of drawing. A detailed category index at the front of the book lists each page where similar examples may be found, enabling the reader to easily identify and cross reference subjects that have been drawn in similar styles. Advice covers composition, shading, subjects, silhouettes, working with pencils, pen and ink, and charcoal. This helps the reader understand the way in which similar subjects and styles are executed by different artists, and also inspires them to use the tips in the book to build on their own unique talent. If you're going to learn to draw, what's the point of only drawing one way? Standing apart from the host of how-to drawing books, Freehand accesses practical information via the images u a unique approach that focuses on the way subjects can be treated through different drawing styles, rather than elaborate techniques to master one single style. This gives the reader a much wider skill set allowing them to capture or create the essence of any image in more than one way.
- Author BiographyHelen Birch is an art lecturer and author of the highly popular blog drawdrawdraw, which reaches more than half a million readers. Birch teaches courses in art and design, fine art and visual art at Bradford School of Art & Design, UK.
- Author(s)Helen Birch
- PublisherHardie Grant Books
- Date of Publication01/09/2013
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationSouth Yarra
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintHardie Grant Books
- Content NoteFull colour throughout
- Weight390 g
- Width179 mm
- Height129 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.