All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionFreeze Frame: A Photographic History of the Winter Olympics, a companion to the highly-acclaimed Swifter, Higher, Stronger: A Photographic History of the Summer Olympics. The companion volume on the Winter Games follows in the stunning visual format of the first book and includes the many great stories of the Winter Olympics, from the Jamaican bobsled team to the Soviet-American hockey match at Lake Placid. It covers all fifteen major winter sports, from skiing to luging, and includes high-interest ice skating and recently introduced swboarding, both considered especially popular sports with kids. It ranges from triumph to tragedy, both hallmarks of Olympics history, as it relates victories such as Eric Heiden's 1980 five gold medal win and horrors such as the 1961 plane crash that killed 18 members of the U.S. figureskating team. The Winter Olympics launched in 1924 in Chamonix and have captured the world's imagination in mountain locations all over the world since then. The book includes spectacular photo galleries in addition to wonderful images throughout, a map of Winter Olympic sites, a section on Winter Olympic extremes, and a complete back matter Winter Olympics Almanac, with quick reference information on each Olympiad. The next Winter Games are February 10-26, 2006, in Turin (Tori), Italy.
- Author BiographySue Macy lives in Englewood, NJ. She is the award-winning author of <i>Winning Ways: A Photohistory of American Women in Sports</i> and <i>A Whole New Ball Game: The Story of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.</i> Both were named ALA Best Books of Young Adults and NCSS-CBC Notable Children's Trade Books in the Field of Social Studies.
- Author(s)Sue Macy
- PublisherNational Geographic Kids
- Date of Publication03/02/2006
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Geographic Kids
- Out-of-print date06/12/2011
- Content Note150 + colour & b/w photographs
- Weight676 g
- Width276 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Interest Age10 and up
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.