All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionJean Barman was the recipient of the 2014 George Woodcock Lifetime Achievement Award. In French Canadians, Furs, and Indigeus Women in the Making of the Pacific Northwest, Jean Barman rewrites the history of the Pacific Northwest from the perspective of French Canadians attracted by the fur ecomy, the indigeus women whose presence in their lives encouraged them to stay, and their descendants. Joined in this distant setting by Quebec paternal origins, the French language, and Catholicism, French Canadians comprised Canadiens from Quebec, Iroquois from the Montreal area, and metis combining Canadien and indigeus descent. For half a century, French Canadians were the largest group of newcomers to this region extending from Oregon and Washington east into Montana and rth through British Columbia. Here, they facilitated the early overland crossings, drove the fur ecomy, initiated n-wholly-indigeus agricultural settlement, eased relations with indigeus peoples, and ensured that, when the region was divided in 1846, the rthern half would go to Britain, giving today's Canada its Pacific shoreline.
- Author BiographyJean Barman is a nationally recognized historian and author and a professor emeritus at the University of British Columbia. She is the recipient of numerous honours and awards including the 2014 George Woodcock Lifetime Achievement Award and the 2012 Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
- Author(s)Jean Barman
- PublisherUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Date of Publication17/09/2014
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Content Note47 photos, 4 maps, 16 tables
- Weight771 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.