All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionSenshu University has hosted many international conferences on medieval English literature - primarily on Geoffrey Chaucer and William Langland - as well as in the related fields of Old Germanic, medieval French and Renaissance Italian literature. These international collaborations inform and contribute to the present volume, which addresses the heritage bequeathed to medieval English language and literature by the classical world. This volume explores the development of medieval English literature in light of contact with Germanic and Old Norse cultures, on the one hand, and Romance languages, on the other. The book includes a comparative study of Beowulf in the Germanic context, discusses aspects of Piers Plowman and its tradition, and offers philological approaches to Chaucer (especially his Troilus and Criseyde). The articles assembled here collectively suggest how the torches of classical learning were carried from continental Europe to illuminate the pages of medieval English literature.
- Author BiographyTomonori Matsushita is Professor of Medieval English literature and linguistics, Senshu University, Tokyo. A.V.C. Schmidt is Andrew Bradley-James Maxwell Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford. David Wallace is Judith Rodin Professor of English, University of Pennsylvania.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication04/07/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStudies in Historical Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Number7
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note99, ill., tables and graphs
- Weight540 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edited byA. V. C. Schmidt,David Wallace,Tomonori Matsushita
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.