All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe egalitarian society once enjoyed by the Lah hunter-gatherers of Peninsular Malaysia is quickly changing. Throughout a year of ethgraphic fieldwork among the Lah, Csilla Dallos studied and interpreted social change in order to better understand the processes leading to inequality and the concurrent development of social complexity within a community. From Equality to Inequality provides rich empirical data on the factors within a community that significantly affect the development of inequality, including the effects of sedentism, integration, leadership competition, self-aggrandizement, marginalization, and feuding kinship groups. In this case study, Dallos argues that in order to understand emerging inequality, anthropologists and social scientists need to revisit current conceptions of politics in small-scale egalitarian societies. Offering a new model of developing social inequality that is congruent with the principles of complexity theory, From Equality to Inequality is a sterling example of how anthropological practice can further our general understanding of human behaviour.
- Author BiographyCsilla Dallos is an associate professor in the Department of Anthropology at St. Thomas University.
- Author(s)Csilla Dallos
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication09/04/2011
- LanguageEnglish & Malay
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleAnthropological Horizons
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note12, 6 figures; 3 maps
- Weight640 g
- Width160 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.