From Making a Living to Creating a Life: How to Be Happy, Successful, Free and Powerful by Utterly Transforming Your Work by David Firth (Paperback / softback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.18Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by grey_elk_books_au_and_uk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $11.50Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.46
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
About this product
- DescriptionHow to have work be as good for your soul as it is for the mortgage payments. This book is for those of us how have had eugh of the status quo and want to empower ourselves to live life - and work - fully. David Firth's book has an ambitious subtitle: 'How to be Happy and Successful by Utterly Transforming Your Work.' In it he advocates for a major shift in what we have been taught. He shows how to become more aware of the dominant story about work in our society and be willing to choose our own narrative. The deeply engrained and mostly unchallenged story about work is that it is the thing you have to do to pay the bills - and that the most important first thing you need to do in life is 'get a good job' or 'make a good living' before you can attend later to the nice to haves - like creating a satisfying life. That wouldn't be so bad a foundation were it t that so many people have difficult, stressful and unrewarding experiences of their life in work. In this book, David Firth offers us a fundamental challenge by showing how the craft of 'making a living' is profoundly intertwined with the art of 'creating a life.' We simply need to accept that we are at the source, the cause of it all. This is a courageous act - because that story of work is so strong in the world - and David shows how to make it happen. From 'Making a Living' to 'Creating a Life' explores personal transformation in dealing constructively with difficult bosses making sense of office politics working well with challenging colleagues eliminating overwhelm and busy-ness discovering freedom when surrounded by constraints finding meaning and purpose in work. Written in compact chapters that are designed to be thought-provoking, funny and helpful, David Firth shows how to rise above our cultural conditioning and create a life driven by true passion, purpose - and great work! FROM THE AUTHOR Hello everyone! Look, I'm going to blow my own trumpet here: I love this book! I believe it shows people how they can truly enjoy and derive deep satisfaction from their work, whatever it is they happen to do for a living. But the book goes further than that: it challenges head-on the default conversation that work is, at best, the thing that earns the money to pay for what we'd rather be doing, or, at worst, that it's a curse for t having been born rich. What if we had a new vision for work, t as a necessary evil, but as a source of all the great things we want our lives to be; an expression of who we are; a way of serving rather than getting; a legacy we want to leave to the world? That's the book's promise. I love this book also because I think it exposes a major lie. It's a well intentioned, ble lie, but it's simply untrue netheless. Best leadership education continues to tell us that The Boss is the source of inspiration, motivation, reassurance about the future and so on. And that's why we continue to complain about our bosses so much: they simply cant live up to our ideals. We place way too much expectation on those above us to fulfill the things - eg inspiration, motivation, reassurance about the future - that deep down we kw can only come from inside us. So with this book I want to challenge people to be at work in a more empowered, confident, 'inside-out' way than they might be currently. I think that puts readers back in control - and establishes them as the cause of things rather than the effect.
- Author(s)David Firth
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication14/01/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCareers & Success
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.