All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.98Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
- AU $30.79Trending at AU $36.54
About this product
- DescriptionOn March 18,2000, Taiwan's voters stunned the world by choosing Chen Shui-bian. the candidate of the opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), to be their president A host of new issues quickly became the subject of debate. What is the DPP? Where did it come from and what does it stand for? How will it use its newly won power? Will it risk war with mainland China in pursuit of independence? Addressing these quest ons, From Opposition to Power provides a comprehensive overview of the DPP, its history, policies, and structure. Rigger traces the party's origins in opposition movements of the 1960s and 1970s and recounts how it was founded in defiance of mart al law in 1986. She then analyzes its internal conflicts over policy and power and explains the party's changing stance on such issues as Taiwan's independence, international relations and ecomic policy. A key theme is the role the DPP has played in promoting democratization and fair competition in Taiwan. The first book in English to focus on this influential new power, Rigger's study is a riveting read for those hoping to understand and anticipate events in East Asia.
- Author BiographyShelley Rigger is Brown Associate Professor of East Asian Politics at Davidson College. Her publications include Politics in Taiwan: Voting for Democracy.
- Author(s)Shelley Rigger
- PublisherLynne Rienner Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication31/05/2001
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationBoulder, CO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLynne Rienner Publishers Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.