CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.59Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $73.90Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionPsychologists seem to be everywhere these days, but it's a little kwn fact that in 1970 there were only a few hundred clinical psychologists in the whole of the UK. Author Alan Smith was one of these pioneers; working in the British National Health Service at the beginning of this young profession. Now retired, he has published his autobiography in the form of a diary, describing events and anecdotes relating to his profession, including being trained in a modern psychiatric hospital - but working in an old mental hospital built as a Victorian lunatic asylyum. Additional background information gives the reader an understanding of the profession. Alan's autobiographical work turns books like Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar and Susanna Kaysen's Girl, Interrupted on their head as readers get to see t who is being treated, but who is doing the treating. It details the progression of the psychological industry from 1969-2000, covering a frustrating battle against business management ideas being introduced by the government and obstructive attitudes adopted by some psychiatrists. At times shocking but always interesting and well-written, From Tests to Therapy is aimed at the general reader as well as mental health professionals, and will appeal to history lovers too. Inspired by Richard Bentall's Doctoring The Mind, Alan's book offers an interesting and rare insight into the world of Clinical Psychology. From its difficult early history to the respectable career it is today.
- Author BiographyAlan Smith is a Clinical Psychologist with long experience of the National Health Service. Originally from Durham, he trained at The Maudsley Hospital in London and then moved to Worcestershire in 1971 to set up an adult psychological service in its rural area. He has observed many changes since then.
- Author(s)G. Alan Smith
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication03/02/2011
- SubjectAutobiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationLeicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date01/05/2014
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight236 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.