All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the second edition of a well-received book providing the fundamentals of the theory hyperbolic conservation laws. Several chapters have been rewritten, new material has been added, in particular, a chapter on space dependent flux functions and the detailed solution of the Riemann problem for the Euler equations. Hyperbolic conservation laws are central in the theory of nlinear partial differential equations and in science and techlogy. The reader is given a self-contained presentation using front tracking, which is also a numerical method. The multidimensional scalar case and the case of systems on the line are treated in detail. A chapter on finite differences is included. From the reviews of the first edition: It is already one of the few best digests on this topic. The present book is an excellent compromise between theory and practice. Students will appreciate the lively and accurate style. D. Serre, MathSciNet I have read the book with great pleasure, and I can recommend it to experts as well as students. It can also be used for reliable and very exciting basis for a one-semester graduate course. S. Noelle, Book review, German Math. Soc. Making it an ideal first book for the theory of nlinear partial differential equations...an excellent reference for a graduate course on nlinear conservation laws. M. Laforest, Comp. Phys. Comm.
- Author BiographyHelge Holden is professor of mathematics at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology and an adjunct professor at the Center of Mathematics for Applications, part of the University of Oslo. He has done extensive research in stochastic analysis, in particular in its application to flow in porous media. Nils Henrik Risebro is professor of mathematics at the University of Oslo. His research interests are mainly nonlinear partial differential equations and numerical methods for these. He has also worked on conservation laws with discontinuous coefficients in a variety of applications.
- Author(s)Helge Holden,Nils Henrik Risebro
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication10/12/2015
- Series TitleApplied Mathematical Sciences
- Series Part/Volume Number152
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Note1240 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight1183 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.03Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.