All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.89
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $29.50
About this product
- DescriptionThis book has a dual purpose, to review in depth the control of fuel homeostasis in the brain and the role of the nervous system in the control of fuel deposition in the body. From the methodological point of view the emphasis is on the application of advanced techlogies to assess fuel transport and brain metabolism, the role of peptides in the neuroendocrine system and the response of the brain to hypoglycemia. These techlogies include positron emmission tomography, nuclear magnetic resonance, immucytochemistry, molecular biology, autoradiography. To study fuel homeostasis in the body advanced tracer methods that include modelling are set out. From the pathophysiological point of view the emphasis is on abrmalities in stress, brain metabolism in diabetes, eating and degenerative disorders. This book contains contributions from endocrilogists, physiologists, neurologists, psychoneuroendocrinOlogists, biophysicists, biochemists and experts in nutrition. This authorship represents a unique diversity of researchers who, for the first time, cover comprehensively the interaction between the nervous system and fuel homeostasis, both in health and disease. We hope this book will be an important source of information for both researchers and practicing clinicians. Mladen Vranic Suad Efendic Charles Hollenberg v ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS The Symposium from which this volume arose (University of Toronto, June 27-28, 1990) was the first Toronto-Stockholm symposium on Perspectives in Diabetes Research. These Symposia are organized triennially by the Banting and Best Diabetes Centre, University of Toronto and the Department of Endocrilogy, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication17/03/2012
- Series TitleAdvances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Part/Volume Number291
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight559 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byCharles H. Hollenberg,Mladen Vranic,Suad Efendic
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1991
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.