Brand newLOWEST PRICE
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $34.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.37Trending at AU $30.79
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.46
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $22.93
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.05
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $13.71
- AU $27.95Trending at AU $29.44
- AU $12.36Trending at AU $14.10
About this product
- DescriptionIn this 10th vel from author Diamela Eltit, the protagonist is a young woman from a marginal neighborhood who works as a prostitute in a cyber cafe, her life at the height of tragedy and misfortune. The setting is a section of town surrounded by police special forces. But in a sad yet defiant play on words, the special forces of the title also refer to the will required to resist, to survive on the edge of society under such forms of repression and oppression. Violence and the scars left on bodies both physical and social appear in many of Eltit's vels, carefully constructed with uneasy passages dealing with brutality, fruitless desires, illnesses, and harrassment by the police, whose constant presence makes residents live in fear. Her books are also kwn for their obscenity that goes beyond sexual meaning, never better said, in the horrible, terrible things that must be avoided or hidden. This sad, dark vel constructs a tale from various voices of the poor and the dispossessed who, despite all odds, try to survive with dignity in the middle of a world full of more and more sophisticated guns and new ways of killing. The intelligence and clarity of the main character gives readers a sliver of hope.
- Author BiographyDiamela Eltit is a visiting professor at New York University and a cofounder of the prestigious Chilean artist collective CADA, which was formed during, and in opposition to, the Pinochet dictatorship. She is the author of Jamas el fuego nunca, Lumperica, Mano de obra, Por la patria, Los trabajadores de la muerte, and Los vigilantes. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Diamela Eltit
- PublisherEditorial Periferica
- Date of Publication01/12/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleLargo Recorrido
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintEditorial Periferica
- Weight249 g
- Width135 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.